a set of gender neutral pronouns, although far less common than they/them. Nonbinary individuals may opt for the sie/hir pronouns instead of he/him or she/her.
Sie is pronounced as “see”. Hir is pronounced like “here”.
It is related to ze/zir, and the pronouns may be used in combination, e.g. “ze/hir” or “sie/zir”, rather than “sie/hir” or “ze/zir”.
- sie (“sie will be marching in the Pride Parade tomorrow”);
- hir (“that Pride Flag belongs to hir”);
- hir (“hir sense of style is remarkable”);
- hirs (“that Pride Flag is hirs”);
- hirself (“Jay danced by hirself”).
Originally published: 16th December, 2020
Last modified: December 16, 2020